NLP, homework, anger
As you might know I became certified as an NLP Practitioner some weeks ago, and yesterday I used an easy method to help my middle-son let go of his anger.
Yesterday my middle son’s homework was to learn a poem. He almost knew it, but somehow he always made a little mistake. And his mom is quite strict, when it comes to learning (hm… she should work on this topic, she knows that), so she asked him to tell the poem again and again. And so my son started to get angry and frustrated. He didn’t want to tell it again. So here’s what I did 🙂
We managed his anger using an easy NLP method
I told him to sit down, calm our minds, be present and focus. I asked him:
- What was the color of his anger? (He told that it was black)
- What was the shape of his anger? (He was thinking a bit, and then he said that it was shapeless)
- What did his anger sound like? (He told that it was shouting, very very loud)
Then I told him, OK, now let’s change this black anger into red. Then he said, no mommy, I got it. And then he closed his eyes for a couple of minutes. And when he opened his eyes, he was calm completely again, and he told me that we could go on. And then you can guess if he could tell me the poem perfectly or not. Right, he told it perfectly, without any mistakes…. So that’s how it works.
How did he do it? He used his own way 🙂
And of course I asked him what did he do to let go of his anger. And he said, he made a ball out of this black anger and threw it away. Needless to say how proud I was of him 🙂 It was so nice to see that he could manage his anger alone, he could calm his mind, actually almost without my assistance. Because I wanted to use another way, but he found his own method, and it was really amazing to see it.
And how can you do it?
And so if you gave it a try, here is how you can also do it.
- Become aware of your anger
- Close you eyes, imagine your anger, then try to describe it, answer the following questions
- What is the color of your anger?
- What is the shape of your anger?
- What does your anger sound like?
- Now have a look again at your anger, and get prepared to change it
- Change the color of your anger
- Change the shape of your anger
- Change the sound of your anger
After going through these steps, it’s quite likely that you become calm, just like my son did. But if you still feel angry, then repeat the process again, and change your anger until you can feel that you could let it go.
And you can also throw it away, or you can try to rub it out, whatever. Use you imagination 🙂 Just like my son found his own way you can also experiment with it. It’s not something that there is only one proper way to do it. No, see and experience what works for you 🙂
And I’d be very glad, if you shared your experience how it works for you 🙂